Drug Trafficking & Firearms
- Successfully represented a client in two separate and unrelated multi-defendant indictments that received headline news and charged him as a lead defendant with multiple counts of conspiracy and federal drug trafficking charges in the United States District Court as well as multiple counts of conspiracy, corrupt organizations, and drug trafficking charges in state court and exposed him to potential mandatory and consecutive sentences of at least 10 years up to possible sentences of 15 years to life in each case. Following 3 1/2 years of the most intense, grueling, and relentless advocacy, during which time multiple winning arguments were developed and set forth on behalf of her client, the end result was that the client received only a 6-month period of incarceration in a federal facility followed by a 6-month term in a federal halfway house for both cases and, as a result, will be able to start his life anew.
- The client's full review on Avvo.com entitled "The Person Who Gave Me A New Life" is highlighted on the Quotes by Others page on this website.
- Successfully represented a client against drug trafficking charges regarding crystal methamphetamine. The case had been described in the press as the "largest meth bust ever in the city of Philadelphia." Following aggressive pretrial representation over the course of almost 1 1/2 years, all charges against the client were dismissed on the morning of trial.
- Successfully represented a client in the United States District Court in two federal drug trafficking and firearms trials. The defendant was first acquitted at trial of multiple counts alleging the possession of firearms in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense and the possession of firearms by a convicted felon. After 8 months of arguments, NiaLena then succeeded in reversing the federal drug trafficking counts for which the defendant had been convicted and subsequently won a new trial for her client.
- A review by the client entitled "She wanted more for me then 30 years in prison" can be found in NiaLena's profile on Avvo.com.
- Successfully represented a client in the United States District Court in two federal drug trafficking and firearms trials. In the first instance, the jury hung and a mistrial was declared. At the retrial, the defendant was acquitted of multiple counts involving the distribution of crack cocaine as well as multiple counts alleging the possession of firearms in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense and the possession of firearms by a convicted felon.
- The client was quoted in the Super Lawyers feature article that was written about NiaLena entitled "Fierce" as stating, “She was fierce like a bulldog, for real.”
- Successfully represented a client charged in two separate and unrelated federal criminal cases that received headline news and charged him with multiple counts of conspiracy and sophisticated high-tech firearms trafficking charges in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Despite the fact that her client was charged as a lead defendant in both cases, NiaLena was able through aggressive advocacy to prevent enhancements for leadership role and obstruction of justice and was therefore able to very significantly reduce the client's exposure.
- Successfully represented a proud military veteran who was facing serious federal drug trafficking charges in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania stemming from a long-standing addiction born out of service-related injuries. After more than a year of intense advocacy, the client was not only able to avoid a prison sentence but also has continued to be an inspirational role model to others seeking to conquer their own addictions.
- As reflected on the full review on Avvo.com entitled "A Life Changing Experience," the client shares that "NiaLena didn't make any promises on the outcome of my case; however, she assured me that she would give me the best representation possible" and "she stayed true to her word." "Her commitment to my case exceeded my expectations" and "meeting NiaLena was a life changing experience." "As I sit in the comfort of my home writing this letter, I am so very thankful [not only] that I did not have to serve jail time," but also that "NiaLena's encouragement and treatment made me feel like a worthy human being."